Monday, May 23, 2011

life these days...

i've been away from London for over a month..... there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about that place --  the people, the sights, the sounds, the smells, the laughs, the tears, the inspiration, the fun. I wish i could have stayed in that moment (or those 3 months of moments) forever. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss waking up in the London Centre.... I miss public transit..... I miss walking down the street to Sainsburys to get chocolate covered raisins for 79p....I MISS saying things cost (insert number)P.

.....but life is different now. Instead of waking up in the Centre surrounded by 5 other guys and 33 girls...I wake up in a full-sized bed in my own room, with my own bathroom....2 full sized closets.......... which all sounds nice.... but in reality it's kind of lonely and boring. It was easy for me to replace my pre-London-life with London-Life..... but I'm finding replacing "London-Life" with "Provo-Life" quite difficult.

Now, when I wake up 10 minutes before class starts (as happened this morning....) I panic. In London? not a big deal...I had 5 more minutes I could sleep if I wanted.

Now, if I want a home cooked meal (prepared by someone else) I have to drive to my parents house.... In London? I would come home to one every night (granted...it wasn't the BEST food in the world..)

Now, if I want to see a decent live show I have to travel at least to salt lake and plan days in advance..... in London I could ride 6 tube stops to get to Leicester Square to find a random show to see last minute.

Now, most of my conversations with friends happen over the phone.... in London - all conversation was face to face.

Now, I have to drive to get to a public park.... in London it was right across the street.


I could go on and on and on...and probably on some more. But I won't...the fact remains...I miss London.... but I'm learning to adjust.

I'm busy working 2 jobs (still at BYU and at Banana Republic) and going to school full-time. It's a struggle....but it's all worth it. There's a light at the end of the tunnel....I will (hopefully) graduate next fall......that day can not come soon enough.

3 comments:

Rain Coyote said...

I'm sorry that adjusting back is being a bear. That would be hard to come back from living in London to be in Provo. Best of luck with everything. If you ever need a monkey sticker to cheer you up, you know where they are ;)

Annie said...

You put it into words perfectly. Haha I love this. And I miss London too. Miss you Mikey!

Kaylinn said...

I'm just sayin Mikey - GO BACK TO FREEKIN LONDON IF YOU HATE AMREICA SO MUCH! AS FOR ME AN MY HOUSE, WE SALUTE THE FLAG - NOT THE QUEEN. :) Or you can move to Antioch, which is about a .25 step up from Provo. I'm just sayin.